About once a week I sit in my kitchen and brainstorm new muffin recipes. I always try to have a variety of healthy snacks available for lunches and snacks when I am on the go. On days where I am less prepared I am often left searching for gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free snacks, which is not always so easily accomplished when you are out and about!
These Blueberry Coconut Muffins are gluten free, grain free, vegan friendly and free from any refined sugars. They are also packed with essential nutrients to keep you going throughout your busy days. Here are a few added health benefits that they have to offer:
- These are packed with disease fighting antioxidants
- Contain anthocyanins that have been linked to an increase in neuronal signalling in the brain and as a result can improve your memory function
- They also contain a compound called pterostilbene that may protect against colon cancer
- Contains both Caprylic Acid and Lauric Acid which have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- It contains heart healthy medium-chain triglycerides which can speed up a sluggish metabolism
- Coconut is also packed with anti-oxidants
- Almonds contain unsaturated fatty acids that can help to stabilize the immune system
- The fats in almonds help to increase feelings of fullness for longer and are an excellent way to balance out blood sugar levels and minimize cravings
- Bananas are high in potassium which is critical for proper nerve and muscle function
- They are an excellent source of vitamin B6 which is vital to many bodily functions including cell growth
- They are also packed with vitamin C which is of course used to boost the immune system, aid in cell repair and can help to improve the absorption of other nutrients such as iron
The steps in this recipe are super simple to follow and the result is just delicious! I hope that you all enjoy and let me know what you think.
1 1/2 cups of almond meal
1/4 cup of ground flax/chia
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 1/2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- In large bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients – almond meal, flax/chia, coconut flour, shredded coconut, and baking soda
- In a separate bowl mix together the bananas, coconut oil, and maple syrup with a hand blender until well combined and smooth
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry and mix well
- Add in the blueberries and mix until evenly spread out
- Scoop batter into a well greased muffin tray (I like to use coconut oil for this)
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes – the edges should be nice and brown
Made the muffins! They are amazing and a good filling breakfast option.
So glad that you like them!! I made them today as well!!