I hope that everyone is staying warm despite the snow storm that hit us today. I actually had my first official snow day since I was a kid! When deciding what to do today, I figured I would take a break from studying and share one of my latest recipes with all of you!
This one may seem a bit odd at first, but give it a try and you will be pleasantly surprised! The secret ingredient in these Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins is actually black beans. They wind up giving this recipe a really fluffy and cake like texture. Now if you are thinking that you might pass on trying this recipe, let me tell you that these black beans are so well hidden you will have no idea they are there! This is a great way to sneak in some extra fibre and nutrients for children and even adults who may not be getting all of their daily vitamins and minerals. Here are the quick and easy steps!
1 can of organic black beans rinsed thoroughly and dried
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil (must be virgin and unrefined)
1/3 cup of unsweetened natural peanut butter (organic is preferred)
3 tbs of raw cacao powder
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of coconut milk
1/3 – 1/2 cup of coconut sugar (depending on preferred sweetness)
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup of ground flax and chia mix
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (to be used on top)
1) In a large bowl and using a hand blender or food processor mix together the black beans, coconut oil, coconut milk, peanut butter, cacao powder, and vanilla extract until completely smooth.
2) In a separate bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients with the exception of the chocolate chips.
3) Fold the wet mixture into the dry and mix everything together using your hand blender or food processor until completely smooth.
4) Using a table spoon place large scoops onto a muffin tray (I like to use muffin cup liners for this). Place about 6 chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
5) Bake on 350F for 20-25 minutes.
6) Let cool for at least 30 minutes. If you would like them to be firmer then place in the refrigerator. ENJOY!